Monday, July 21, 2008

20th Year High School Reunion Report

Having missed my 10th year reunion, I was not sure what to expect from the 20th. As I mentioned in a previous blog, I chose to wear a bit of a disguise. My sunglasses and huge afro wig fooled nobody. I was not 10 paces into the Refinery Lounge when 2 or 3 people called to me. Just a little freaky. I was told that my jaw line gave me away.

It was nice seeing some old friends and getting to touch base with people that I have not seen in a long time. There were, of course, some physical changes however, personalities tended toward the familiar. Having worked hard on a few personal issues since my divorce I found myself able to avoid some of the old relationship pitfalls that I used to fall into. Having said that, I am sure my old friends thought that I too, am very much the same person they new in high school and college.

I wonder when we pass the point of no return with our personalities.

I was very nervous going to this reunion... and now I wonder why.  Given that these people were my friends and cohorts in high school and college, why would they treat me any differently?  Of course they did not.  They joked with me, listened to me, and shared with me.  I actually felt safe.  Maybe I was nervous because in high school you are really never safe.  

When you get older friendship and friendliness are too valuable for hormones and petty teenage stuff.  When you are older everything that is unimportant simply peels away leaving just the fruit of friendship.  Pretty nice.

No comments: