Sunday, August 17, 2008

Phabulous Phelps Perphormance

I love the sport of swimming.  I have a passion for it.  Having said this, I was surprised by how excited I was to watch Michael Phelps make his run at history and his 8th gold medal of the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.

I have been thoroughly impressed with his performances all week.  The 400 IM, 200 IM, 200 Free, and 200 Fly races were all dominating swims.  The 100 Fly was an incredibly exciting individual performance.  But the relays were the best.

I have to admit that I am partial to relays, and the non of the US men's relays disappointed.  The 400 Free was a wonderful team effort with Jason Lezak's heroic finish.  The 800 Free showed how far ahead the US men are in the 200 Free.  That left the 400 Medley Relay.  The last win needed for the US to sweep the relays, and for Phelps to achieve reach his destiny.

My heart was pounding throughout the 3 and a half minutes.  Were they nervous?  All told they did what they needed to do.  Each member put together strong swims and brought home the victory.  

Phelps' teammates were very gracious afterwards.  They know how special his achievement is regardless of how they felt about the attention he has garnered over the last week or so.  They did what they did for themselves, there country, there family, and there home teams as much as for Michael Phelps.  Does he know how special an achievement his winning 8 gold medals is?

I am not sure that he does.  He is only 23 years old after all.  I saw much emotion from him this week, but I did not see a single tear.  I am pretty sure that I shed more tears over his achievements this week than he did.  In all fairness, I cry pretty easy.  :)

I have no doubt that, in the end, Michael will understand and will reflect solemnly on this week and all that it means.  It was pretty wonderful and he is now a hero to millions of people.  I hope he appreciates it, owns it, and makes the most of it.

No comments: