Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Political "Reading" and Thoughts

I have been reading Barack Obama's, The Audacity of Hope.  Actually, I have been listening to his audiobook, which is how I prefer to "read".  Just doing my daily driving I spend 60-120 minutes a day in the car.  It seems an efficient use of my time.  I have also downloaded John McCain's, Character is Destiny and plan to "read" that book next.

Obama's book seems to be a good blend of his politics and how he arrived at them.  I like his easy style and background on his live and thoughts on current events.  I wonder how McCain's book will compare.

I was inspired to pick up his book because one of my swimmers is working in Obama's local campaign office.  As much as I admire her I consider her something of an ideologue.  As such I don't consider her a good source of information regarding the upcoming presidential election.

She was actually discussing Obama with one of my swim parents the other day.  Overhearing the conversation I asked her how her internship with Obama's campaign was going.  It naturally shifted to me asking how I could find out more about his positions on things.  Somehow the swim-mom interjected how McCain was not an option as president.  I asked why and she said (and I am paraphrasing) that he was ugly and gross.  I asked if being good looking was a pre-requisite for political office.  She didn't answer, but proceded to talk about how sweaty and gross McCain was.  My swimmer, trying to help the swim-mom's argument, stated that Obama would be a great president because he had more experience than Abraham Lincoln had before he became president.

I thought about telling her that this was a ridiculous argument on her part, but chose not to.  It seemed that the discussion was pointless.  Why is it that most ideologues are unable to put together any sort of cogent discussions or arguements to 

No comments: