Monday, February 8, 2010

You are going to have Joshua Trees in your Joshua Tree National Park aren't you?

At the time I made that joke Sarah and I were nearly 3/4 of the way to Twentynine Palms from the Cottonwood Visitor Center, which is on the Palm Springs side of Joshua Tree National Park.

We had just spent some time in the Cholla Cactus Garden and were driving through Wilson Canyon when we saw some amazing rock formations. We stopped to get a closer look when I spotted our first Joshua Trees. They are truly odd looking trees, somewhat resembling the womping willow from Harry Potter.

There were plenty of Joshua Trees after that...a virtual forest of them. We saw Mohave yucca, Prickly pear cactus, Ocotillo, Palo verde, Brittlebush, Smoketree, Scrub oak, and others that I was not able to recognize.

We saw a little wildlife including some hummingbirds and what I think were Zebratail lizards. But the most exciting site was of a Black-tailed jackrabbit.

Sarah and I had returned to the park in an effort to take some desert photos at sunset. We were too late for a pink desert, and I was trying (in vain) to get some photos of a hummingbird when I spotted the jackrabbit. He must have just come out from his burrow for an early evening snack.

I fumbled with my camera to get the right combination of shutterspeed and ISO to capture the twitchy creature.

Photos will follow upon completion of our wedding journey.

Tomorrow we are off to Las Vegas for a few days to see friends, a show or two, and to get hitched.


Mobile Blogging from here.


No comments: