Thursday, February 11, 2010

Dam Impressive

When I got up this morning, the news out of DC was about the weather. The snow they had gotten yesterday morning had everyone trapped. Oh no! How are Kate and Henry going to make it?

I worked out, and by the time I got bak to our room there was a message from Kate. They had anticipated the bad weather and managed to arrange to get out just ahead of the winter storm. I was pumped!

Sarah and I had a quick breakfast and then drove to our next abode. My friend Cindy has gifted us 3 days at a time share about 5 miles from the strip. It is a great apartment with a full kitchen, living/dining room, and a balcony. It sure is nice to have such good friends.

From there we picked up Kate and Henry at the Flamingo and headed out for Hoover Dam. What an amazing marvel of engineering and human labor. We splurged for the full tour, and am I glad. We saw everything from the generators to spillways to air intake tunnels. It us just amazing to think about the effort and material needed to pull a project like that together... and in the 1930's no less.

We learned that the concrete is still curing, still getting stronger. I had heard that there were bodies of workers who had died during construction. I turns out that that particular rumor is a dam lie (pun intended). I just hope that I am able to stitch together some dam good photos.

Kate, Henry, Sarah, and I dressed up and went to a Brazilian restaurant in the Mirage. It wasn't bad, but it did not seem authentic. El Tango, in Anchorage has better South American food.

Right after dinner I picked up Richard from the airport. He is staying at the Excaliber. He met Sarah and we had some beers in a bar in his hotel. He is such a good guy to come to another wedding of mine. I am just lucky in general. I have no fewer than 5 friends who have dropped everything to come to Vegas this week. Add in Cindy's genrous time share gift and it all adds up to me being very blessed.

Tomorrow Brian and Ann Marie arrive. We go to a show at the Bellagio. Maybe I will pick up my tux. I don't know, I don't know if we will have the time.
Mobile Blogging from here.


No comments: